NEBOSH General Certificate in Occupational Health & Safety
The NEBOSH General Certificate in Occupational Health & Safety is one of the most widely held health and safety qualifications in the world. It is the first step in building your health and safety career!
We have applied to be a NEBOSH approved training centre recently, we expect to be a NEBOSH approved training provider soon!
|NEBOSH Certificate Course Key Facts|
|Learning Methods||Classroom, In-company and Online|
|Units||2 units: NG1 and NG2|
|Assessments||2 hour question paper for NG1 and a practical assessment for NG2|
|Entry Requirements||Literate in the English language|
Why take the NEBOSH General Certificate course?
- Develop your career opportunities – the NEBOSH name is a mark of excellence for those seeking a successful career in health and safety. It’s what employers ask for in the UK and internationally!
- NEBOSH international qualifications can be examined in English and Mandarin Chinese
- Increase your health & safety knowledge and gain practical skills to use in your job
- Maintain compliance and improve H&S performance in your company
- NEBOSH’s qualifications are recognised by relevant professional membership bodies
Holders of NEBOSH National/International General Certificate in Occupational Health and Safety are entitled to Associate Membership (AIOSH) of the Institution of Occupational Safety and Health (IOSH). If you have two years full time or five years of part-time work experience working in health and safety, you’ll also be able to apply for Technical Membership (TechIOSH).
NEBOSH General Certificate Course Syllabus
The NEBOSH Certificate is divided into two units NG1 and NG2 which are assessed separately:
NG1 – four elements made up of:
- Element 1: Why we should manage workplace health and safety
- Element 2: How health and safety management systems work and what they look like
- Element 3: Managing risk – understanding people and processes
- Element 4: Health and safety monitoring and measuring
NG2 – a practical risk assessment exercise demonstrating an understanding of elements 5 – 11, including:
- Element 5: Physical and psychological health
- Element 6: Musculoskeletal health
- Element 7: Chemical and biological agents
- Element 8: General workplace issues
- Element 9: Work equipment
- Element 10: Fire
- Element 11: Electricity
See the full NEBOSH Certificate syllabus here.
How is the NEBOSH Certificate assessed?
There are two assessments:
- A 2-hour written exam consisting of 10 short answer questions and 1 long answer.
- A 3-hour practical risk assessment carried out in the workplace to demonstrate the knowledge learned in elements 5-11.
Exams held four times a year in March, June, September and December, but some providers run additional dates throughout the year too.
You need to pass both assessments to achieve your NEBOSH General Certificate.
How long does it take to complete the NEBOSH General Certificate?
The length of time it takes to pass the NEBOSH General Certificate qualification depends on which type of training method you chose.
Online Course: This usually takes around 80 – 120 hours to complete but is flexible and can be worked around you and your commitments. You will have access to the e-learning resources and online tutor support for 12 months from the start of the course date.
Classroom Course: This usually consists of two split weeks (10 days). You’ll be expected to travel to a single place of study on specific dates.
Please register your place for the exams 8 weeks before the exam date to ensure you get a space!
We will register to deliver other NEBOSH Qualifications in the near future or now upon your immediate needs. Please find all NEBOSH qualifications and NEBOSH progression leaflet here: nebosh-progression-leaflet-2018-v6-web