NEBOSH National General Certificate in Occupational Health & Safety
The NEBOSH General Certificate in Occupational Health & Safety is one of the most widely held health and safety qualifications in the world. It is the first step in building your health and safety career!
Designed for managers, supervisors and employees, the NGC is an essential qualification for anyone with health and safety responsibilities as part of their role. It will give you invaluable knowledge and skills to support your current role and long-term career.
We are a NEBOSH accredited Gold Learning Partner, you can read more about our accreditation in our blog post.
Why take the NEBOSH General Certificate course?
- Develop your career opportunities – the NEBOSH name is a mark of excellence for those seeking a successful career in health and safety. The NEBOSH Certificate is highly respected by employers in all sectors globally
- 87% of UK employers request the NEBOSH General Certificate course to improve health and safety skills and knowledge of managers, supervisors and staff in order to gain health and safety continuous improvements.
- A National General Certificate (NGC) is specified in most health and safety job adverts, which means that people who hold the NGC have far better job prospects
- Increase your health & safety knowledge and gain practical skills to use in your job
- Maintain compliance and improve H&S performance in your company
- NEBOSH’s qualifications are recognised by relevant professional membership bodies
- It entitles you to Associate Membership (AIOSH) of the Institution of Occupational Safety and Health (IOSH) and the Associate Membership of the International Institute of Risk and Safety Management (IIRSM).
- If you have two years full time or five years of part-time work experience working in health and safety, you’ll also be able to apply for Technical Membership (TechIOSH). Many students then progress to the NEBOSH National Diploma (Grad IOSH) and from there to chartered status (CMIOSH), the gold standard in health and safety!
Why study with Horizon Risk Consultancy Ltd?
- We give guidance on examination technique, exam preparation and revision support with exam question practice and constructive feedback
- We are NEBOSH Gold Learning Partner and make sure our learners receive the best experience
- Our expert tutors have extensive trainingand industry experience, all of them are NEBOSH examiners who understand the exam system
- All of our tutors hold an education degree and NEBOSH National Diploma certificate, meaning they can better understand your needs and design and deliver effective training to help you succeed
- We provide an engaging classroom experience; with discussions, problem-solving exercises, and group activities to help your understanding
- You’ll have access to high-quality course material developed by our tutors,as well as our online Learning Management System with useful study materials
- We create a collaborative environment where you can network with, and learn from, other students in your group sharing knowledge and best practice
- Our training venue is located in Huddersfield with refreshments and convenient parking
|NEBOSH Certificate Course Key Facts|
|Learning Methods||Classroom, In-company, Online and Distance Learning|
(Both assessments are marked by external examiners appointed by NEBOSH)
|Entry Requirements||Literate in the English language|
NEBOSH General Certificate Course Syllabus
The NEBOSH Certificate is divided into two units NG1 and NG2 which are assessed separately:
NG1 – four elements made up of:
- Element 1: Why we should manage workplace health and safety
- Element 2: How health and safety management systems work and what they look like
- Element 3: Managing risk – understanding people and processes
- Element 4: Health and safety monitoring and measuring
NG2 – a practical risk assessment exercise demonstrating an understanding of elements 5 – 11, including:
- Element 5: Physical and psychological health
- Element 6: Musculoskeletal health
- Element 7: Chemical and biological agents
- Element 8: General workplace issues
- Element 9: Work equipment
- Element 10: Fire
- Element 11: Electricity
How is the NEBOSH Certificate assessed?
There are two assessments:
- Question paper (assesses what you know) – A 2-hour written exam consisting of 10 short answer questions (8-mark questions) and 1 long answer (20-mark question). Candidates must achieve 45% to pass this unit.
- Practical assessment (assesses what you can do) – A 3-hour practical risk assessment carried out in your workplace or other workplaces to demonstrate the knowledge learned in elements 5-11. Candidates must achieve 45% to pass this unit.
A ‘pass’ must be achieved in both units to achieve the National General Certificate in Occupational Health and Safety.
Exams held four times a year in March, June, September and December, but based on student’s needs, additional dates and on-demand exam sitting can be arranged throughout the year.
You need to pass both assessments to achieve your NEBOSH General Certificate.
How long does it take to complete the NEBOSH General Certificate?
The length of time it takes to pass the NEBOSH General Certificate qualification depends on which type of training method you chose.
Online Course: This usually takes around 80 – 120 hours to complete but is flexible and can be worked around you and your commitments. You will have access to the e-learning resources and online tutor support for 12 months from the start of the course date. Read more.
Classroom Course: This usually consists of two split weeks (10 days). You’ll be expected to travel to our training centre to study on specific dates.
Distance Course: This is the blended learning approach tailored to your personal learning needs. You are expected to have self-paced learning via our course materials and resources in our LMS platform Google Classroom.
Please register your place for the exams 8 weeks before the exam date to ensure you get a space!
Upcoming Course Dates (Classroom Course):
Week One: 17 – 21 August 2020
Week Two: 24 – 28 August 2020
Exam: 9 September 2020
Week One: 16 – 20 November 2020
Week Two: 23 – 27 November 2020
Exam: 9 December 2020
Course Cost (classroom course)
The course fees is £1,295 inclusive of VAT plus £116 NEBOSH fee. The course fees includes refreshments and course materials, the NEBOSH fee covers NEBOSH exam fees.
If you have any questions, please find the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) here.
If you choose to take part with a colleague we offer a 10% discount on the course fee for bookings of 2 or more. Please note that the NEBOSH exam fees are not eligible for this discount.
We will register to deliver additional NEBOSH Qualifications in the near future, please contact us to discuss your needs. You can find all NEBOSH qualifications and the NEBOSH progression leaflet here.
For more information on how studying a NEBOSH training course at Horizon Risk Consultancy can benefit you and your workplace, please call 01484 937128 or email email@example.com