|NEBOSH Certificate Course Key Facts|
|Learning Methods||Classroom, In-company, Online and Distance Learning|
(Both assessments are marked by external examiners appointed by NEBOSH)
|Entry Requirements||Literate in the English language|
NEBOSH National General Certificate in Occupational Health & Safety
The NEBOSH National General Certificate in Occupational Health & Safety is one of the most widely held health and safety qualifications in the world. It is the first step in building your health and safety career!
Designed for managers, supervisors and employees, the NEBOSH National General Certificate in Occupational Health & Safety (NGC) is an essential qualification for anyone with health and safety responsibilities as part of their role. It will give you invaluable knowledge and skills to support your current role and long-term career.
We are a NEBOSH accredited Gold Learning Partner and you can read more about our accreditation here.
Why take the NEBOSH General Certificate course?
- Develop your career opportunities – the NEBOSH name is a mark of excellence for those seeking a successful career in health and safety, and is highly respected by employers in all sectors globally
- 87% of UK employers request the NEBOSH General Certificate course to improve health and safety skills and knowledge of managers, supervisors and staff in order to gain health and safety continuous improvements
- A National General Certificate (NGC) is specified in most health and safety job adverts, which means that people who hold the NGC have far better job prospects
- Increase your health and safety knowledge and gain practical skills to use in your job
- Maintain compliance and improve H&S performance in your company
- NEBOSH’s qualifications are recognised by relevant professional membership bodies
- It entitles you to Associate Membership (AIOSH) of the Institution of Occupational Safety and Health (IOSH) and the Associate Membership of the International Institute of Risk and Safety Management (IIRSM)
- If you have two years full time or five years of part-time work experience working in health and safety, you’ll also be able to apply for Technical Membership (TechIOSH). Many students then progress to the NEBOSH National Diploma (Grad IOSH) and from there to chartered status (CMIOSH), the gold standard in health and safety!
NEBOSH General Certificate Course Syllabus
The NEBOSH Certificate is divided into two units NG1 and NG2 which are assessed separately:
NG1 – four elements made up of:
- Element 1: Why we should manage workplace health and safety
- Element 2: How health and safety management systems work and what they look like
- Element 3: Managing risk – understanding people and processes
- Element 4: Health and safety monitoring and measuring
NG2 – a practical risk assessment exercise demonstrating an understanding of elements 5 – 11, including:
- Element 5: Physical and psychological health
- Element 6: Musculoskeletal health
- Element 7: Chemical and biological agents
- Element 8: General workplace issues
- Element 9: Work equipment
- Element 10: Fire
- Element 11: Electricity
How long does it take to complete the NEBOSH General Certificate?
The length of time it takes to pass the NEBOSH General Certificate qualification depends on which type of training method you chose.
Online Course: This usually takes around 80 – 120 hours to complete but is flexible and can be worked around you and your commitments. You will have access to the e-learning resources and online tutor support for 12 months from the start of the course date. Read more.
Classroom Course: This usually consists of two split weeks (10 days). You’ll be expected to travel to our training centre to study on specific dates.
Distance Course: This is the blended learning approach tailored to your personal learning needs. You are expected to have self-paced learning via our course materials and resources in our LMS platform Google Classroom.
Please register your place for the exams 8 weeks before the exam date to ensure you get a space!
What are the learning options for the NEBOSH General Certificate?
We know that different people have different needs and preferences for training. Our training solutions are offered in a variety of delivery methods so that you can choose those that are best suited to your individual requirements and the needs of your organization.
☑ Classroom Course – Selected dates across the year to coincide with the NEBOSH exam dates, usually consisting of two split weeks (10 days). You’ll be expected to travel to our training centre to study on specific dates.
Also available to study:
☑ Live Online: All the benefits of classroom learning delivered at your convenience with Live Online training.
☑ Online Course – Perfect if you need a flexible study method to work around your busy life and more affordable than classroom courses, saving you money but without compromising on quality. Read more.
☑ Distance Course: This is the blended learning approach tailored to your personal learning needs. Please contact us for more information on taking the NGC as a distance course.
How is the NEBOSH Certificate assessed?
There are two assessments:
- Question paper (assesses what you know) – A 2-hour written exam consisting of 10 short answer questions (8-mark questions) and 1 long answer (20-mark question). Candidates must achieve 45% to pass this unit.
- Practical assessment (assesses what you can do) – A 3-hour practical risk assessment carried out in your workplace or other workplaces to demonstrate the knowledge learned in elements 5-11. Candidates must achieve 45% to pass this unit.
A ‘pass’ must be achieved in both units to achieve the National General Certificate in Occupational Health and Safety.
NEBOSH introduced the Open Book Exams in June 2020. Exams are held six times a year.
You need to pass both assessments to achieve your NEBOSH General Certificate.
Upcoming Course Dates
Week One: 14 – 18 September 2020
Week Two: 21 – 25 September 2020
Exam: 28 October 2020
Autumn 2020 Summer 2020
Week One: 12 – 16 October 2020
Week Two: 19 – 23 October 2020
Exam: 28 October 2020
Week One: 16 – 20 November 2020
Week Two: 23 – 27 November 2020
Exam: 2 December 2020
The course fees is £1,295 inclusive of VAT plus £116 NEWBOSH fee (£150 NEBOSH fee if you sit for the exam after 1 December 2020). The course fees includes refreshments and course materials, the NEBOSH fee covers NEBOSH exam fees.
If you choose to take part with a colleague we offer a 10% discount on the course fee for bookings of 2 or more. Please note that the NEBOSH exam fees are not eligible for this discount.
Book the course with us today. For more information on how studying a NEBOSH training course at Horizon Risk Consultancy can benefit you and your workplace, please call 01484 937128 or email firstname.lastname@example.org