What is NEBOSH?
NEBOSH stands for ‘National Examination Board in Occupational Safety and Health’. NEBOSH provides syllabuses, exams and assignments to accredited learning partners such as Horizon Risk Consultancy. Learning partners are rated bronze, silver and gold based on how they compare to the guidelines set out by NEBOSH.
The General Certificate is split into 2 qualifications the National (NGC) and the International (IGC). The NGC focuses on UK laws and regulations and the IGC focuses on global regulations.
Why study the NEBOSH general certificate?
- NEBOSH is one of, if not, the most respected awarding bodies in the health and safety industry. The course is structured in order to teach you everything you need to know about the industry. The National General Certificate is widely regarded as the ‘Gold Standard’ within the health and safety industry and is relevant to every workplace and sector
- It is a great option for those looking for a long-term career as Health and Safety Professionals are always in demand. There will always be opportunities to progress your career
- You will learn transferable skills which will help you adapt your knowledge to your job., such as the 5 step approach to Risk Assessments
- Help to maintain compliance within your company
- Gives you options to take your learning further and progress your career through more courses, such as the NEBOSH National Diploma
What jobs can I get with the general certificate?
There is a wide range of jobs available to those with the NEBOSH certificate, the main ones are:
- Health and Safety Officer
- Health and Safety Advisor
- Health and Safety Auditor
- Health and Safety Co-ordinator
- Health and Safety Executive
- Health and Safety Manager
- Environment, Health and Safety Manager
You can take a minute to look over the career guide provided by NEBOSH here.
What's the difference between Health and Safety Managers, Advisors and Officers?
A health and safety manager is responsible for advising and steering a business’s health and safety operations in the right direction. Managers are in charge of keeping people safe and making sure the workplace complies with legal health and safety requirements.
Health and Safety advisors tend to be more oriented toward a specific site as opposed to managers who work more independently. Advisors will most likely have roles such as creating health and safety policies, keeping accident records, writing reports and investigating accidents from a health and safety point of view.
Officers are usually responsible for creating relevant health and safety policies, conducting risk assessments and developing strategies to prevent work-related illnesses and injuries.
The NEBOSH Diploma is the next step for those who have already completed the general certificate course. NEBOSH research shows that holding a professional qualification makes a considerable difference to the expected salary for health and safety professionals.
For example, jobs that require the NEBOSH Diploma on average have a 16% higher base salary than jobs that do not require the Diploma qualification.
Hopefully this quick article gives you some idea of what kind of job you can expect to apply for when you have achieved your qualification. You can book the courses with us using the links below.