|NEBOSH Certificate Course Key Facts|
|Learning Methods||Classroom, In-company, Online and Distance Learning|
(Both assessments are marked by external examiners appointed by NEBOSH)
|Entry Requirements||You don’t need any previous health and safety knowledge or experience to take the course. But you will need to have a good level of English to be able to understand complex concepts and discuss them in your exam.|
NEBOSH International General Certificate in Occupational Health & Safety
NEBOSH International General Certificate in Occupational Health & Safety (IGC) is one of the most popular and recognised health and safety qualifications in the world. It is the first step in building your international health and safety career!
Designed for managers, supervisors and employees, the IGC is an essential qualification for anyone working in or wanting to work in safety & health anywhere in the world. It gives you invaluable knowledge and skills AND a globally respected qualification that supports your current role and your long-term career.
We are a NEBOSH accredited Gold Learning Partner and you can read more about our accreditation here.
Why Take the NEBOSH International General Certificate course?
- Relevant to every workplace it is the most widely respected health and safety qualification of its kind in the world, boosting your career prospects
- It is trusted by many global organizations such as Shell, BP, Nestle and the Dubai World Trade Centre
- Increase your health and safety knowledge and gain practical skills to use in your job
- Maintain compliance and improve H&S performance in your company
- NEBOSH’s qualifications are recognised by relevant professional membership bodies
- It entitles you to Associate Membership of the International Institute of Risk and Safety Management IIRSM (AIIRSM)
- If you have two years full time or five years of part-time work experience working in health and safety, you’ll also be able to apply for Technical Membership of IOSH (TechIOSH)
NEBOSH International General Certificate Course Syllabus
The NEBOSH International General Certificate is divided into two units IG1 and IG2 which are assessed separately:
IG1 – four elements made up of:
- Why we should manage workplace health and safety
- How health and safety management systems work and what they look like
- Managing risk – understanding people and processes
- Health and safety monitoring and measuring
IG2 – a practical risk assessment exercise demonstrating an understanding of elements 5 – 11, including:
- Physical and psychological health
- Musculoskeletal health
- Chemical and biological agents
- General workplace issues
- Work equipment
How long does it take to complete the NEBOSH International General Certificate?
The length of time it takes to pass the NEBOSH International General Certificate qualification depends on which type of training method you chose.
Online Course: This usually takes around 80 – 120 hours to complete but is flexible and can be worked around you and your commitments. You will have access to the e-learning resources and online tutor support for 12 months from the start of the course date. Read more.
Classroom Course: This usually consists of two split weeks (10 days). You’ll be expected to travel to our training centre to study on specific dates.
Distance Course: This is the blended learning approach tailored to your personal learning needs. You are expected to have self-paced learning via our course materials and resources in our LMS platform Google Classroom.
Please register your place for the exams 8 weeks before the exam date to ensure you get a space!
What are the learning options for the NEBOSH International General Certificate?
We know that different people have different needs and preferences for training. Our training solutions are offered in a variety of delivery methods so that you can choose those that are best suited to your individual requirements and the needs of your organization.
☑ Classroom Course – Selected dates across the year to coincide with the NEBOSH exam dates, usually consisting of two split weeks (10 days). You’ll be expected to travel to our training centre to study on specific dates.
Also available to study:
☑ Online Course – Perfect if you need a flexible study method to work around your busy life and more affordable than classroom courses, saving you money but without compromising on quality. Read more.
☑ Distance Course: This is the blended learning approach tailored to your personal learning needs. Please contact us for more information on taking the IGC as a distance course.
How is the NEBOSH Certificate assessed?
There are two assessments:
- Question paper (assesses what you know) – A 2-hour written exam consisting of 10 short answer questions (8-mark questions) and 1 long answer (20-mark question). Candidates must achieve 45% to pass this unit.
- Practical assessment (assesses what you can do) – A 3-hour practical risk assessment carried out in your workplace or other workplaces to demonstrate the knowledge learned in elements 5-11. Candidates must achieve 45% to pass this unit.
A ‘pass’ must be achieved in both units to achieve the International General Certificate in Occupational Health and Safety.
NEBOSH introduced the Open Book Exams in June 2020. Exams are held several times a year, the upcoming exam dates will be updated here when we receive the announcement from NEBOSH.
You need to pass both assessments to achieve your NEBOSH International General Certificate.
Upcoming Course Dates
TBC – please contact us to register your interest.
If you are based in the UK. The course fees is £1,295 inclusive of VAT plus £116 NEBOSH fee. The course fees include refreshments and course materials, the NEBOSH fee covers NEBOSH exam fees.
For international learners, please contact us for a quote.
If you choose to take part with a colleague we offer a 10% discount on the course fee for bookings of 2 or more. Please note that the NEBOSH exam fees are not eligible for this discount.
Book the course with us today. For more information on how studying a NEBOSH training course at Horizon Risk Consultancy can benefit you and your workplace, please call 01484 937128 or email firstname.lastname@example.org